Rocky Hill War Memorial and Museum
After a year long construction period for the new Rocky Hill War Memorial Museum, Council is pleased to announce the Museum will open to the public on Saturday 28th March 2020. Residents and visitors are invited to an official opening event at 10.30am. Please note there will be no parking onsite - a shuttle bus will run from Carr Confoy oval from 10am through to 3.30pm.
The completed museum is a stunning building that blends into the natural landscape and we are excited to welcome the public to its opening and to the re-opening of the memorial tower and the cottage museum.
Please contact Councils’ Museums Coordinator Kerry Ross on 4823 4527 for more information.
About Rocky Hill War Memorial
Rocky Hill War memorial opened in 1925 as a lasting tribute to the men and women of Goulburn who served during World War 1.
Sponsored by the community and designed by renowned local architects, E C Manfred and Sons, the memorial tower is constructed of concrete and clad in local stones – some of which were carried to the site by local residents and returned servicemen as part of ANZAC Day commemorations in 1923.
Located on a prominent rocky outcrop the memorial is a must to visit with the viewing platform at the top of the tower providing a spectacular view over the city of Goulburn and surrounding areas.
A small museums opened in the basement of the tower in 1927 to house a collection of objects from the Great War, including sixteen items of national significance. The collection has grown extensively over the years and now spans Australia’s involvement in the war from the 19th century to the current day.
In 2000 the collection moved into the re-purposed caretakers’ cottage museum – and a new contemporary museum building opens in March 2020, providing additional exhibition and education space.
Rocky Hill war Memorial is listed on the register of the National Estate.
The lookout is open 7 days per week from 7am to 7pm.