Vegetation Clearing

There are a number of ways that the removal of vegetation is regulated within the Goulburn Mulwaree local government area: 

Trees on Council owned or managed land

 If you have an issue with vegetation located on Council owned or managed land (e.g. street trees) please make a request through Council’s Customer Service section in person at the Civic Centre, Bourke Street Goulburn or;

Vegetation in Heritage Areas & Item

Council approval is required if you want to prune or remove vegetation located on your land and the property is located in a Heritage Conservation Area or is an Item of Environmental Heritage that is listed under Schedule 5 of the Goulburn Mulwaree Local Environmental Plan.

To find out if your property is a heritage listed item or is located in a Heritage Conservation Area please refer to Part 5, Clause 5.10 Heritage Conservation and Schedule 5, Environmental Heritage of the Goulburn Mulwaree Local Environmental Plan. The objectives of clause 5.10 are to preserve the environmental heritage of Goulburn Mulwaree.

For enquiries please email or phone (02) 4823 4444 with the following information:

  • Your contact and property details
  • A description of the type of trees and the number of trees to be removed or pruned
  • The reason for requesting removal or pruning
  • Photographs of the vegetation illustrating the issues

    Council may wish to inspect the vegetation, if so Council staff will contact you to organise a suitable time if the vegetation can’t be viewed from the street boundary.

Please see the Vegetation Removal Application Form at the bottom of this page.

Trees and Neighbours

Trees can unfortunately cause disputes between neighbours for a variety of reasons. Residents often contact Council to express their concerns about a neighbour’s tree in the hope that Council will mediate or resolve the matter by requiring their neighbour to carry out work.

Council does not have the authority to direct a property owner to remove or prune a tree. Council is also unable to mediate between neighbours as it is a civil matter that should be resolved between neighbours or through the Land and Environment Court. Further information can be sourced from the Clerk of the Court at the Goulburn Court House. For more information see:

Trees (Disputes Between Neighbours) Act 2006 No 126 (NSW)

State Government Legislation

NSW has a method of managing and assessing proposals to clear native vegetation, this is captured under the Biodiversity Conservation Act 2016. The aim is to facilitate ecologically sustainable development outcomes and to enable effective agricultural land management. It is a risk based approach that encourages landholders to avoid and minimise any potential impacts on biodiversity. Impacts that cannot be avoided are required to be offset.

If your development proposal requires the clearing of native vegetation you must address the provisions of the NSW Biodiversity Conversation Act 2016 as part of the development application process. The Biodiversity assessment and approvals navigator is a useful tool to help you determine the pathway for assessment under the Act.

The Biodiversity Assessment and Approval Pathways flowchart(PDF, 762KB) also provides guidance on the various approval pathways for vegetation clearing.

Information about mapped values on a property

Landholders, or their agents, can request a Biodiversity Values Map Explanation Report. The report provides detailed descriptions and maps for all biodiversity values applicable to a landholding. This includes locations where the biodiversity value is a threatened species and/or community and the species and/or community name.

To request an explanation report contact the Map Review Team at: or by phone on (02) 6360 9000.

There is no fee for an explanation report and applications are usually completed within fifteen working days.

Requesting a review of the mapped values on a property

You or your agent can request a review of the Biodiversity Values Map for your property if you feel a value has been incorrectly mapped. A review may result in an amendment to the map. You will receive a report on the review outcomes. It is recommended that you seek an explanation report describing the biodiversity values on your landholding before requesting a map review.

To request a map review contact the Map Review Team at or by phone on (02) 6360 9000. There is no fee for a BV Map review.

Useful links:

The Biodiversity Values Map identifies if your property requires a Biodiversity Development Assessment Report (BDAR) prior to clearing of vegetation. The requirement for a BDAR can be triggered in other ways. To assess if your proposal requires a BDAR please refer to the Biodiversity assessment and approvals navigator and the Biodiversity Assessment and Approval Pathways flowchart.

Biodiversity Values Map

If a Biodiversity Development Assessment Report (BDAR) is required for your development it must be carried out by an accredited assessor. The list of accredited assessors can be found at:

Accredited assessors

Biodiversity Reforms and

Weed Management

Priority weeds do not require a permit for removal. The control methods for Priority weeds are listed on the Department of Planning, Industry & Environment’s ‘’NSW Weed Wise’’ website. The link to this is on Council’s website.

For information on weed management requirements see:

Goulburn Mulwaree Council Weeds Management

Local Land Services

For clearing of native vegetation on rural land for development that doesn’t require development approval please contact ‘NSW Local Land Service’ by email to or phone (02) 6491 7800. You can search for your property by using the link below.

Local Land Services Regulated Land Map

Rural Fire Service Clearing for asset protection zones

Clearing is permitted for asset protection zones for properties that are identified on the NSW Rural Fire Service online tool 10/50 Vegetation Clearing

The 10/50 Code applies to vegetation adjacent to external walls of:

a) An approved building containing habitable rooms that comprises, or is part of, residential accommodation or a high-risk facility; and

b) An approved building that comprises, or is part of, a farm shed.

The scheme allows people in a designated area to:

  • Clear trees on their property within 10 metres of a building described in a) or b) above, without seeking approval; and
  • Clear underlying vegetation such as shrubs (but not trees) on their property within 50 metres of a building described in a) or b) above, without seeking approval.

The 10/50 scheme is supported by the 10/50 Vegetation clearing code of practice.


For enquiries regarding vegetation please contact Council on or phone (02) 4823 4444.